As previously stated in a recent post, HOS – Hours of Service – is a federal regulation of limitations most truckers have for the length of time they can be driving or be required to take rest breaks.
Who is required to comply with these regulations? Here is a simple breakdown stated directly from the FMCSA:
“In general, a CMV is a vehicle that is used as part of a business and is involved in interstate commerce and fits any of these descriptions:
- Weighs 10,001 pounds or more
- Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating of 10,001 pounds or more
- Is designed or used to transport 16 or more passengers (including the driver) not for compensation
- Is designed or used to transport 9 or more passengers (including the driver) for compensation
- Is transporting hazardous materials in a quantity requiring placards”
Sources: “Hours of Service.” Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, United States Department of Transportation, 30 Dec. 2013, www.fmcsa.dot.gov/regulations/hours-of-service.